A researcher has come up with an 'algorithm' that tags photos based on the relationships that people in images have with each other. The algorithm uses the name and location of existing photo tags to build a 'relationship graph,' where personal connections in the images are calculated, Mashable reports. The new method makes it faster and more efficient at tagging pictures. According to the ...
Twitter is reportedly going to roll out retargeted ads fueled by browser cookies to target mobile users based on what they surf on the web. Cookie retargeted ads could make sure that the ads seen on Twitter are for those things which users actually want, TechCrunch reports. According to the report, all advertisers might not be immediately eligible to buy the ads, and they might not show up to ...
Defending the increased presence of commercial brands on its platform, Facebook has reportedly said that users aren't revolting against it. The social networking giant disclosed the breakdown of Australian user figures for 2013, showing nine million Aussies visited the site every day. According to news.com.au, Facebook Australia's head of measurements and insight, Helen Crossley, said that 63 ...
An adorable two-year-old girl became a Twitter sensation after her fall was captured by photogs at the White House during decoration unveiling. Ashtyn Gardner from Mobile, Alabama, fell when she was approached by the first family's puppy, Sunny, who was held on a leash by Michelle Obama, the Washington Post reported. After Gardner lost her balance when her foot got caught in a child's walker, ...
British diver Tom Daley recently took to Twitter to hit back over claims that he's in a relationship with Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, who is 20 years his senior. While thanking his followers in his tweet for supporting him after he announced that he is 'bisexual' via YouTube, the 19-year-old Olympian said that it shouldn't matter who he dates, Metro.co.uk reported. Daley ...
Winds: From the West at 2.2 MPH Gusting to 2.2 MPH
The Incubus [DVD]
Horror films, by their very nature, are disreputable. Some would argue, in fact, that the power of horror derives from its taboo busting, its willingness to "speak the unspeakable" and "show the unshowable," which is why they are so often criticized, condemned, and even outright banned. And, within the horror genre, disreputable as it is, it is those films that revolve around the violent act of r ... ...
Pittsburgh StarPittsburgh Star – Local Pittsburgh News | International Headlines
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Pittsburgh news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Pittsburgh Star is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Pittsburgh.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Pittsburgh weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Pittsburgh Star is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Students in Andy Kastl's (second from left) social studies class at Clintondale High School in suburban Detroit use the social media app Vine for a lesson on the Constitution. Photo by Mike Fritz/PBS ...
Do you have major gaps in call tracking data from Google AdWords Call Extensions? You just might, if you haven’t followed important rules. Thankfully, there are solutions to fill these data ...
One thing I’ve found to be true in my years of working in search marketing is that virtually every company has a good idea of who their top overall competitors are, but very few can say who their biggest competitors are on the search engines. This is a critical distinction for search marketers, since from a search perspective, it only matters which companies are showing up on the search ...
Aaron (l) and Adora Cheung, co-founders of Homejoy.Homejoy, an online platform for hiring independent home cleaners, has raised $38 million in a round led by Redpoint Ventures, with prior investors Google Ventures and Max Levchin participating along with First Round Capital, Oliver Jung and Mike Hirshland.Founded in July 2012 by brother and sister entrepreneurs Adora and Aaron Chung, who are ...
Dec. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan comments on Bitcoin. He spoke during an interview with Trish Regan on Bloomberg Television's "Street Smart." (Source: Bloomberg)Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan comments on Bitcoin. He spoke during an interview with Trish Regan on Bloomberg Televisions Street ...
Wayne Gretzky has put his California home up for sale.Droning on: Amazon's plans to potentially use small drones to deliver packages has gotten a lot of attention this week, and now The Verge is reporting that UPS also is experimenting with using its own version of flying parcel carriers.Gretzky slept here: Hockey great Wayne Gretzky has put his 3,758-square-foot townhouse in Thousand ...
Medical device manufacturer AngioDynamics will eliminate 10 percent of its local workforce as part of a three-year "operational excellence" plan to reduce operating costs by $15 million. AngioDynamics is headquartered in Latham, NY. The company's manufacturing and distribution are centered in Queensbury and Glens Falls in Warren County.AngioDynamics Inc., a homegrown public company ...
The two companies didn't offer many details, only saying that users will be able to see Twitter messages on the homescreens of selected Android-based smartphones sometime next year. The collaboration will initially cover Germany, the Netherlands, Romania, Greece and Croatia, the operator said in a ...
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's central bank will closely monitor the development of Internet financial services to ensure companies do not cross any legal red lines, a senior central bank official said on ...
We've found an existing account with the given email. To link the social network identity with your site account, please provide the site password for the provided ...
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
Have Your Say
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Pittsburgh Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
I caught a cab from the Belfast International Airport, and within about 10 or 15 minutes was at the Hilton ...Keep reading
The US Congress has passed a bill to reopen the government and raise the federal debt limit.
The Democratic-controlled Senate's bipartisan compromise won approval by 81 votes to 18.
The deal was then passed by 285-144 in the House of Representatives, whose Republican leadership begrudgingly agreed to support the measure.
The deal, however, offers only a temporary solution and does not resolve the budgetary issues that split Republicans and Democrats.
Obama said that he will sign the bill immediately and begin reopening the government.
According to CNN, federal workers should expect to return to work from Thursday, the director of the Office of Management and Budget said.
Director Sylvia Mathews Burwell said that as the bill has passed the United States Senate and the House of Representatives, the president plans to sign it and employees should return to work.
Yosemite National Park resumed operations from Wednesday night.
The GOP-led House gave the final stamp of approval to the Senate-brokered bill, passing it easily late Wednesday night.
After the passing of the bill, the debt cushion now extends through February 7, with current spending levels being authorized through January 15. ...
- Consensus key for introducing Communal Violence Bill Mayawati
- Nigella Lawson Denies Drug Addiction Says Charles Saatchi Would Point Out Stains Around the House For Her to Clean
- Ivory Kitchen hosts Rajasthani food fest
- Poo-petrators beware Dog waste-scooping business takes page from CSI
- Greek police raid homes of Golden...
- Pittsburgh Public Schools bus with students on board involved in accident
- Steelers host blood drive today
- US jobless claims plunge to 298k as layoffs slow
- Shrugging off winters bite in North Dakota oilfields
- W. Pa. doctor to stand trial in drugs-for-sex case
- Internet might not necessarily help you save more Study
- Google robots to challenge Amazon drones for home delivery
- JPMorgan Cyber Attack Bank Warns 465000 Customers About Data Theft
- Financial consumer protection imperative to bring back retail investors into financial markets Study
- Video Storm leaves 6500 customers without electricity as roads are shut and railway lines obstructed across Northern Ireland
- Lawsuit alleges fraud loss of millions for Texas baseball team
- Ex-teammate Detroit will fall in love with Lombardozzi
- Nats eyeing Downs to fill lefty-reliever void
- Tigers make key signing with Nathan
- Jeff Seidel With Nathan other moves Tigers better equipped to win close games
- Hezbollah blames Israel for commander's shooting death
- Canada rocked by rash of soldier suicides in one week
- Biden encourages Chinese to challenge their government
- Nuns allegedly abducted from Syria, Pope prays for their safety
- Judge allows Obama's uncle to stay in US
- Topless US woman runs after Peeping Tom who secretly films her trying on bras
- Spotify reveals pays more than $1bn in royalties per year
- Time Warner Cable names Dinni Jain as COO
- It’s choral early-music season in Seattle
- TV Picks Carrie Underwood in ‘The Sound of Music Live’
- Washington Democrats felled by booze and gambling
- Censure or remove judge for comments about 14-year-old rape victim
- Punchlines Least productive Congress ever
- Alan Gross left behind in Cuba
- George F. Will Why Iran should be contained
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Pittsburgh Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Unusually warm December temps to end Rain snow moving in
- Pittsburgh Public Schools bus with students on board involved in accident
- Man accused of killing wife son with handheld crossbow
- School allegedly tried to ban students from speaking Spanish
- Steelers host blood drive today